Background

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Healing Field

I went to SLC this weekend for a class that I desperately wanted to attend, and took the mama and a niece with me. I didn't take any pics at the class, (because I was busy learning) but I did get some of the rest of the trip.

Sunday morning, we went to the Healing Field in Sandy......what an awesome sight that was.
I don't think that I was quit prepared for the emotions that visiting this would bring back.
View from across the street.
There is one flag for every person who lost their lives on that tragic day. 
Beginning with those aboard the fateful flights that September morning.

Moving to the Pentagon and ending at the World Trade Center.




My heart was in my throat the entire time we were there. 
Debris from the World Trade Center.










 It took me right back to that morning. I remember sitting at the kitchen table with one of my sons watching it all unfold on the news...







                                                          


 One flag for every employee and every first responder.......









After a while, I had to quit reading the bios.....I couldn't see them through my tears.  
Love this new tribute!   

Across the street, in front of City Hall is a new bronze statue,
One flag for every Armed forces man and woman from Utah.


and some state flags. These flags are to honor those who have lost their lives in the war on terror. (These are only about half of the flags.)







We were reminded that the little girl we had with us had not even been born when this great tragedy occurred. She had no idea what all of the flags and the statue represented. So Grandma explained it in simple terms. 

I still don't know that she understands the magnitude of this event. It's kind of like me trying to understand the feelings people had when Pearl Harbor was attacked. I know a little more now, having lived through this...and I will never forget that awful morning. 

With a brother and a young cousin over seas, fighting to keep us safe and free, this tribute means even more.

May we never, ever forget.

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment